Ben L. Barker
5421 Colony Green Drive
San Jose, CA 95123
Summary of Qualifications
Proven record of success leading technical and engineering facilities teams in positions of greater responsibility.
Managed engineering projects that included multi-site facility complexes (with over 8 million sq. ft.), multi-level office buildings, as well as manufacturing, research and development facilities. Leading continuous process improvement initiatives that have demonstrated measurable gains on efficiency and performance within business unit using metrics, team building and personnel training. Specific systems and equipment experience includes:
• Critical Facility engineering environments to include sites with multiple data centers.
• Managing contracted and “in house” maintenance and repair teams; led up to 20 direct reports.
• Extensive knowledge, to include “hands on” experience, of HVAC, Power generation, Electrical Distribution, Mechanical and Plumbing systems, and Automated Building Controls.
• Experienced working with ISO 9000, 9001, 14,001, 18000 and CALOSHA Cal-Star / VPP cultures.
Cushman and Wakefield April 2014 – Present
Position – Chief Engineer – for Symantec Corporation, Mountain View, CA
Primary responsibilities include managing the Facilities Engineering group by directing, assisting, training and satisfying the client with difficult facility issues.
• Re-instituted the weekly safety meetings by engaging all members of the facility group including Facility Managers, technicians and engineers.
• Instrumental in two emergency electrical shutdowns by coordinating replacement of a large transformer and investigating a burned electrical buss bar incident that was improperly installed during a building construction project.
• Revising the preventive maintenance program to include newly installed equipment and formalizing maintenance procedures.
• Key member of new construction projects by setting requirements and performing quality control inspections.
ISS Facility Services, Inc. March 2012 – May 2013
Position – Project Manager – for Hewlett Packard, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale and San Mateo, CA
Primary responsibilities included the demolition, restoration or reconstruction of office complexes vacated or operated by HP and their acquired companies to meet the satisfaction of master landlords, property management and ensuring HP’s satisfaction and their business was not impacted.
• Used MSProject and Excel to track progress of work by coordination of HP Global Real Estate, contractors, ISS resources to complete projects.
• Chaired weekly progress meetings with stakeholders, contractors and assigned ISS personnel to go over any delays, future milestones, change orders and other expectations of the stakeholders.
• Wrote detailed Preventive Maintenance program to enhance HVAC, Electrical, Mechanical, systems, The IIPP, Operations Plan, Disaster Preparedness Plan for the Sunnyvale, Maude Ave. Facility.
• Interim Facilities Manager as additional duty while maintaining Project Managerial duties with customer interfacing and every day site operations in support of HP’s Marketing group and Tablet software group.
Raytheon, Corporation January 2010 – June 2011
Position – Facilities Project Engineer – Lompoc/Goleta, CA
Re-wrote the entire preventive maintenance program (SOP’s and MOP’s) on newly installed facilities equipment and emergency procedures that were integrated in the SAP and MP2 CMMS systems for the wafer fabrication manufacturing plant. Created a Raytheon certified job hazard analysis for each PM procedure that highlights key safety requirements.
Re-aligned scheduled maintenance to include proper intervals between services throughout the calendar year and as required by regulatory agencies on facilities supported wafer fabrication equipment for Santa Barbara County.
• Upgraded the warehouse facility by installing stronger storage racks, providing inventory management of critical spares and created new a storage area of critical wafer production equipment waiting for deposition/installation.
• Provided Facilities support on all HVAC, Electrical, Emergency Power systems, Water systems and critical inspections. Tracked all Hot Work permits, Updated Lock Out Tag Out program, Confined space permits.
• Project engineer on facilities upgrades, ERT member, HazMat team member and VPP champion.
Pride Industries June 2009 – October 2009
Contract Position – Interim Facilities/Site Manager
Customer: NASA Dryden Research Center, Edwards AFB, CA
Interim contracted Facilities/Site Manager to promote a smooth transition for the new OEM maintenance contractor for NASA. Managed all of NASA’s Dryden Research Center facilities maintenance on 62 buildings and hangers (8.6 Mil. Sq.ft.). Turned around the inadequate maintenance practices that caused contract termination by the government through training and implementing random quality checks.
• Reorganized the OEM shops to provide correct work flow.
• Implemented processes and work flow requirements that included correct documentation on the following: Tracking KPI’s monthly, Refrigeration Management, Equipment History, Work Order Management, Inventory Management, Procurement, Budgets, Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), JHA’s and Safety.
• Supported Space Shuttle facilities operations if the space shuttle landed at Edwards Air Force Base.
EnerNoc July 2008 – October 2008
Position – Project Manager – Central California
Managed utility provider sites located in central California by completing all documentation on CRM, utility companies, performed on site surveys and implementation of monitoring equipment used in utility Demand/Response events. Provided coaching of utility providers to reduce their energy consumption by alternate procedures above their contract curtailment if production and extreme temperatures prohibit curtailment of equipment.
Spaceport System International, LP, Inc. (An ITT Industries Co.) July 2004 – February 2008
Position – Facilities Operations Manager – Vandenberg AFB/Lompoc, CA
ESH knowledge and compliance experience – Manager of program for 1.5 years as additional duty.
• Replaced outdated Computerized Maintenance Management system (CMMS) Maximo to AMMS with customized SOP’s.
• Established 5 year projected budget to include capitol project equipment upgrades and all maintenance cost.
• Provided analysis review of documentation and processes for change agent maintenance management to upgrade system readiness, and overall facility capabilities of the Integrated Processing Facility (IPF) by changing reactive maintenance practices to predictive techniques that produced 98% equipment uptime.
• Provided failure analysis on major equipment failure to identify root cause of problems and formulate action.
• Project Manager for many IPF building & launch site upgrades to stay abreast of changes in space vehicle designs and requirements using various methodologies and software tools. (MSProject, Power Point, Excel, Word and Visio)
• On site liaison to project officials that included: USAF personnel, NRO, Orbital Science, NASA and other gov. agencies.
Emcor Group, Trammel Crow Company May 2001 – July 2004
Position – Chief Engineer – Operations and Maintenance Company
Customer: Compaq Computers & Hewlett Packard Corporations, Cupertino. CA
Provided leadership, assistance, and training for ten engineers who maintained all of HP’s Cupertino and Fremont California locations (Approx. 2.3 Million sq.ft.) by enhancing existing Electrical & HVAC systems through preventive maintenance, and equipment upgrades worth $18M that supported six critical data centers within the complex.
• Overhauled the entire Preventive Maintenance plans (SOP’s and MOP’s) for the data centers and support equipment.
• Ensured a seamless transition from Compaq to HP during their yearlong business merger by providing consultation of improvements and future improvements to the site to enhance capabilities of equipment uptime.
• Key project member on the T.A.C. LonWorks (BACnet) DDC energy management system upgrade worth $1.7M by providing technical support to the installing contractors.
• Project Manager for rebuilding of all the cooling towers, adding additional backup generators to 5 buildings, major water chiller overhauls and a complete rebuild of the site thermal storage system with adding capability of a rental chiller.
• Provided all research/purchasing, scheduling of parts and materials.
Education: Community College of the Air Force, 1985, Operations Management