David J. Lesko
(219) 713-3415 (Mobile) • firstname.lastname@example.org |
David J. Lesko 8742 Doubletree Dr. South Crown Point, Indiana 46307
(219) 713-3415 (Mobile) • email@example.com
Manufacturing Maintenance & Reliability Manager
industrial, mechanical & electrical Engineering | Project Management | Maintenance Planning
Results-driven, highly-effective leader with over 20 years of wide-ranging leadership experience and a proven track record supporting large production facilities and managing high value capital improvement projects. Leverages considerable expertise in industrial, mechanical and electrical maintenance, project management and manufacturing industry best practices to establish ongoing operational improvements. Improves productivity by implementing proactive actions to ensure efficiency and cost savings. Decisive leader with solid inspection and problem solving skills. Core competencies include:
Reliability Engineering | Root Cause Failure Analysis | Six Sigma Tools | Materials Management
Predictive Maintenance Technologies | Manpower Planning/Budgeting | Equipment Maintenance & Repair
• Defined, planned and led a $12M expansion project that drove a 42% increase in production levels
• Decreased overtime 22% while improving return on owner investment
• Co-chaired Joint Union-Management Safety and Health Team, which identified and corrected over 1200 facility hazards
• Reduced annual Worker’s Compensation accruals by $600K, which resulted in the facility’s nomination for former Vice President Al Gore’s Golden Hammer Award
• Directed and managed fabrication & installation of a $17M sheet metal bag houses and ductwork project to produce a leaded steel process to comply with IDEM regulations
U.S. Steel Gary Works, Gary, IN 2010 – Present
Plant Reliability Specialist/Manger Maintenance Technology & QIT
Led a team of three maintenance engineers, five planners, three equipment inspectors focused on conducting preventative maintenance, root cause analysis and corrective actions for machine failures. Managed proper work order and preventative maintenance scheduling in cooperation with production departments.
• Improved production and bottom line profits. Increased asset reliability to 95.5% (from 82%) by implementing preventative maintenance, and lubrication; tightening bolts; installing proper number of shims where needed; conducting vibration analysis, and performing infra-red scanning.
• Implemented procedures to drive change within the culture of union employees and raise the bar on the amount of tasks that could be scheduled and properly completed.
• Dramatically reduced machine failure/breakdown by ensuring that scheduled preventative maintenance procedures were completed on time; increased the number of completed preventative maintenance processes to 75%.
• Ensured that E1 repairs were performed immediately; completed E2 Repairs within 24 hours and scheduled downtime for E3 repairs to be completed after 24 hours.
ArcelorMittal Steel USA, Indiana Harbor; East Chicago, IN 2007 – 2009
Melting & Caster Area Maintenance Manager / Reliability Engineer
Managed the timely execution of predictive and preventative maintenance programs for the Melt Shop, LMF area and four strand Caster facility producing 7 x7 billets. Led a team of Area Managers, Mechanical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Senior Planner, Environmental Compliance Supervisor, Maintenance Supervisors and by extension 60 indirect reports (Planners, Area inspectors, Electricians, Millwrights) in a unionized environment.
• Successfully drove continuous improvement projects to ensure production goals were met; implemented corrective action plans to reduce the recurrence of repetitive problems.
• Introduced diagnostic tools including vibration monitoring, oil analysis, and infra-red scanning.
• Placed planners and inspectors in all major areas to take ownership and set priorities for down day repairs.
• Dramatically reduced the number of machine breakdowns for a shop that was previously unable to run production two consecutive days without major breakdowns; conducted root analysis repairs and implemented maintenance procedures that enabled production to continue for the entire week without a loss in production time.
CertainTeed, Birmingham, AL 2005 – 2007
Manager of Maintenance & Engineering Projects
Oversaw daily maintenance activities and work schedules for a union facility with over 220 employees; managed Plant Engineer, Safety Manager, Maintenance Supervisors, Environmental Manager and over 30 multi-craft professionals.
• Managed equipment upgrades and new equipment installations. Scheduled weekly down times around production schedules, planned outages to conduct major capital projects and repairs.
• Automated and computerized maintenance system, parts storeroom and ordering area.
• Completed a Six sigma green belt project to reduce plant maintenance for roofing bundle produced; upon completion successfully reduced maintenance costs by $407K annually.
• Changed bearing types and lubrication procedures to increase reliability and mean time between failures (MTBF).
U.S. Steel Mining Company, LLC, Hueytown, AL 2001 – 2005
Manager of Surface Electrical Systems
Managed preventative maintenance, equipment installations, downtime, and safety measures.
• Led a team of 45 electrical-mechanical craftsman with direct reports including Maintenance Supervisors and Safety/Inspection Supervisor.
• Oversaw maintenance and upgrade of electrical systems. Coordinated outside electrical services to include motor rebuilds.
• Allocated an annual maintenance budget of $3.6M.
• Directed electrical capital projects for preparation plant, surface mine area, thermal dryer, granular coal system and overland conveyor systems.
• Significantly decreased the amount of time spent to properly complete first-time breakdown repairs.
• Reduced overtime hours by 20% while substantially increasing production (and therefore, bottom line profits) by ensuring completion of preventative maintenance and proper lubrication of assets.
Additional Career Success
ThyssenKrupp Steel USA HDGL Area Coordinator Maintenance Mechanical & Electrical (2010)
Fluor Engineering Consulting Project Manager (2010)
McWane Cast Iron Pipe Consulting Project Manager, Maintenance Projects (2010)
ABC-NACO, Inc. Manager of Maintenance & Engineering (1996-2001)
Additional career contributions include experience as a Project Engineer, electrical and mechanical inspector
• Repaired, troubleshot, installed, trained on all types and sizes of cranes (10 ton -180 ton overhead cranes; AC/ DC powered cranes)
• Experience: electric arc furnaces, 200-ton furnaces, 4 strand casters, melting & casting shop, hot & cold rolling mills, machine shop
• Oversaw high voltage 5.3 KVA to 2400 and 1G1 KVA at main substations
Bachelor of Science Mechanical Engineering Belford University
Risk-Based Asset Management / Life Cycle Institute
CMMS Training / Oracle
Electrical Safety & Arc Flash Awareness
Bearing and lubrication class
NFPA 70-2005 / National Electrical Code Seminar
SAP Training / LO100 Plant Maintenance
Employee Possessor Letter of Clearance/ U.S. DOJ
Arc Flash Qualified level Training
Six Sigma Operational Green Belt Training
Safety Fall Protection Certification
High Voltage Certification
OSHA 30 HOUR General Industry Certification
CMMS Programs | Oracle | SAP | Elke | MP2 | Tabware | Microsoft Project | AUTO CAD 13