Dean A. Dawson
21122 S. States ln
Objective To develop a partnership to improve safety, asset effectiveness and personnel knowledge on basic and advanced skill sets. Utilizing a priority centered plan to reduce cost with effective and efficient maintenance and reliability culture driven policies and programs that meet business and customer needs.
Summary Professional experiences/strengths include:
• Team supervising and personnel development.
• Personable and professional demeanor.
• Program knowledge and use of SAP, Apollo (RCA), Visio, eVSM, AE tools, OSI-Pi, Projects and Microsoft office
• Extensive knowledge in RCM, TPM, lean six sigma strategic platforms.
• Knowledge in fundamentals of federal standards and regulations for processes and machinery.
• Extensive experience in the electrical, electronics, controls, rotating equipment, millwright, machinist, pneumatic, hydraulic, welding and fabrication disciplines.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Fluent in reading and interpreting documentation to include blueprints, isometric drawings, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic prints, P&ID, GD&T prints.
2013-Present BASF-Chemical processing, Kankakee, Illinois
Site Reliability Engineer.
• Partnered with Kankakee Community College and developed 1 year certificate and two year degreed external regional training programs to include; process technology, electrical and mechanical millwright courses.
• Partnered with Olivet Nazarene University for senior engineering projects and internship programs.
• Developed internal operational and technician instructor led training programs.
• Developed onsite subject matter experts in rotational and utility equipment.
• Asset Effectiveness site lead; partnering with 3 internal businesses to develop 3 to 5 year equipment and lean strategies.
• Implemented Bad Actor, Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA), Critical equipment analysis, Life Cycle Cost (LCC), Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA), spare part optimization, Predictive Maintenance (Pd.M.) & Preventive Maintenance (PM) programs.
• Implemented Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) and Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) initiatives for sustainable solutions.
• Implemented multiple six sigma greenbelt and lean projects.
• Site program assessments utilized to develop 3-5 year business plans.
• Multi site responsibilities to include reliability and training initiatives.
2011-2013 Dupont Nutrition and Health Division, Gibson City, Illinois
Reliability Engineer/MIQA lead:
• Developed prioritizations defined with metrics to increase work order, technician, inspection, predictive and preventive program efficiencies with a variety of reliability KPI’s.
• Developed a scope of work using six sigma methodology to implement a world class program for the management of maintenance storeroom to include quality inspection and control.
• Developed inspection programs for our OSHA & NFPA 30, 36, 61 & 70 regulated areas. To meet PSM needs to include ASME, API, AWS, UST, and FDA standards.
• Implemented predictive programs to include vibration analysis, thermography, ultrasonic, tribology, steam trap, Boiler, non-destructive testing (pressure vessels, tanks and piping), secondary containment, safety valves, ultrasound and PDMA’s.
• Project management implementation of high speed bearing monitoring, pump monitoring, mechanical seals, piping and vessel structure integrity and gaskets.
• Training programs with refresher and classroom curriculum.
• Cost savings programs to include storeroom parts / vender 5 percent incentives, reliability projects and business case for new equipment or tooling based on plant value calculations.
• SAP experience includes reporting, analysis and equipment structure integration.
• Component level RCFA program using direct engineering support from multiple vendors.
• Regional lead in mechanical integrity and quality assurance process safety management Program.
2006 – 2011 Advanced Technology Services, Peoria, Illinois
Senior Maintenance Specialist:
• Develop overall equipment effectiveness (OEE) driven priorities to develop reliability centered maintenance (RCM) programs utilizing the total productive maintenance (TPM) format as a best practice.
• Lean six sigma green belt certified and black belt qualified. (CSSG and CSSB)
• Project manager for machine rebuilds, lean initiatives and new equipment
• Technical witting for machine documentation of new process changes, maintenance equipment tasks, preventive/predictive programs.
• Responsibilities of this job included troubleshooting and repairing CNC machinery, robotics, logic controls, transfer lines, and conveyer lines.
• Controls include Siemens, Rexroth, Fanuc and multiple Rockwell Automation platforms.
• Subject matter expert in electrical & mechanical repairs of linear guided and rotating equipment to include complete computer numeric controlled machine rebuilds in close tolerances.
• Maintained consistent communication of repairs and procedures via computer networking system, direct contact to include verbal and power point presentations.
• Responsibilities also included 4 levels of internal and external training development in E&I and mechanical disciplines.
1998 – 2006 Mechanical Devices Company, Bloomington, Illinois
• Transport and install new or existing CNC machinery using Cranes, Fork trucks and Machine movers. Positioning and leveling machinery in close tolerances.
• Duties included troubleshooting of Fanuc, Siemens, Kolmorgen, and Allen-Bradley controls.
• Maintained and repaired CNC machining centers (including repairs on hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, A.C. /D.C. drivers/controllers, and PLC) in close tolerances.
• Redesigned and improved machine troubleshooting techniques.
• Designed and constructed mechanical support systems.
• Metal and tool fabrication.
1992 – 1998 Illinois Army National Guard, Paris, Illinois
Responsible for the installation, maintenance, and use of digital and analog communication systems. Participated in maintaining the communication between multiple military units, civilian law enforcement, and rescue units. Responsible for the transport of hazardous materials. Managed and maintained the Armory Communication’s Department. Personal achievements include:
• Commended for perfect attendance.
• Commended for managing and maintaining military standards of communications.
Education Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois
Associates of Electronic Technology Degree, May 1998
Bachelor’s Degree of Industrial Engineering, December 2010
Site safety Dash member.
Kankakee Coalition for Hope and Excellence in Education (CHEE) board member.
Kankakee College and Career Readiness Board member.
Kankakee Manufacturing technology Board member.
BASF Reliability regional alliance member.
North American Asset Effectiveness team member.
DuPont Service Certificates In:
Process Safety Management
1st and 2nd Party Auditing
Quality Assurance Program
Advanced Technology Service Certificates In:
Asbestos Awareness Hazard Communication
Blood borne Pathogens Line Breaking
Confined Space Non-Entry Rescue Lock Out / Tag Out
Electrical Safety Machine Guarding
Fall Protection Hand Safety
Working Safely With Power Tools Fire Extinguishers
Illinois Army National Guard Certificates:
Communication and Transportation