(651) 226-1690 DONALD W. ZVARECK email@example.com
EXECUTIVE, OPERATIONS, SALES, AND ENGINEERING LEADER
Successful leader with over 25 years experience in general management, engineering, product
development, project management, manufacturing, sales, and business development, seeking a
leadership position with broad responsibility and accountability within a mid-market company.
– Seven years P & L / general management experience with sales ranging from $5MM to over $100MM.
– Strong track record of increasing profitability in both turnaround and non-distressed situations.
– Decisive, data driven change agent who has a history of continuous improvement.
– Proven ability of blending analysis with action to identify and resolve critical business issues.
– Skilled at building, coaching, and developing strong teams and inter-personal relationships.
– Extensive customer focus in business development and sales as well as negotiating / resolving scope
differences, cost recovery, quality / reliability issues, and other matters.
– Project Management Professional (PMP(r)), Lean Six Sigma Green Belt.
– P & L Management
– Relationship Sales
– Project Management
– Process Improvement
– Executive Leadership
– Profit Improver
– Team Builder / Mentor
– Green Belt Certification
– Product Development
– Operations Management
– Contract Manufacturing
Pragmatek, St. Louis Park, MN
Pragmatek is a management consulting firm that partners with companies by providing seasoned expertise to uncover root problems and improve business processes.
Senior Management Consultant – 2015 to present (reported to VP of Delivery)
– Served a multi-month engagement for a multinational company assisting their US Operations in business process improvement prior to migrating to SAP from legacy system. Scope included assessing multi-plant part-numbering assignment and intelligence schemes, ECN processes, business needs, and identifying gaps between legacy system and SAP.
RTI Remmele Engineering, New Brighton, MN
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, RTI International Metals is a vertically integrated supplier of titanium and
specialty metal mill products in the aerospace, defense, and energy markets. Revenues of $780MM with 2,500
employees worldwide. Purchased Remmele Engineering, Inc. in 2012.
Director, Programs and Engineering – 2011 to 2014 (reported to VP/GM)
– Led a team of 45 engineers, program managers, sales and support personnel, while managing a $75MM portfolio of manufacturing and machining contracts in the commercial, aerospace and defense markets.
– Key member of the Senior Leadership Team, involved in setting strategy, pursuing sales and profitability
growth, and leading the organization through a transition from a privately held enterprise to a public
– Built a strong program management office and improved the engineering organization by hiring two
experienced program managers and two skilled manufacturing engineering managers. Developed and
promoted two other program managers, and removed low performers from their positions.
– Provided leadership to the team by developing solid working relationships with the other functional heads,
setting priorities and challenging the organization to do more with a level headcount.
– Focused on financial controls and forecasting which helped allow the company to achieve 96% and 105% of
EBIT targets each of the last two years.
– Redesigned the new product development / introduction process with the goal of reducing cycle time by 50%.
– Co-leader of the Sales and Operational Planning process and weekly reviews.
– Practiced and implemented Lean Six Sigma principles such as Value Stream Mapping, 8D, Risk
Management, and FMEA in an AS9100C environment.
– Lead Management Representative for AS9100C audits covering product realization, project management,
planning, and risk.
– Primary respondent to PWC and E&Y audits for internal controls related to customer orders, proposals, and
contract administration to ensure Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
MFG Solutions, Vadnais Heights, MN
MFG Solutions is a $10MM designer and importer of contract manufactured products in China.
COO, US Operations – 2009-2011 (reported to CEO and Owner)
– Provided day-to-day and executive level management, including P&L responsibility, for the US Operations.
– Managed 20 direct and indirect reports comprising design and manufacturing engineering, program
management, regulatory affairs and quality assurance, and production management functions.
– Accomplishments included relocation of US operations, upgrade of skills for key regulatory and program
management positions, and being the primary point of contact with two key clients.
Zvareck Enterprises, LLC, Lino Lakes, MN
Zvareck Enterprises is a management consulting firm specializing in interim C-level assignments.
President and Sole Proprietor – 2003-2009
Relevant engagements included:
– Union Metal Corporation, Canton, OH / Goldner Hawn, Minneapolis, MN
– Interim President for a $70MM, 450 person, multi-site, industrial manufacturing company.
– Quickly assessed and right-sized a distressed business through $2MM of cost structure elimination.
– Introduced project management methodology and training to the company.
– Modified front-end business processes such as requirements flow from customer PO to manufacturing
documentation; improved supplier development and auditing, cross-functional integration,
communication, and cooperation. Internal quality improved through shop floor controls and process flow
mapping, resulting in reduced scrap and rework. Restored ISO-9001 registration to company.
– Changed sales forecasting methodology to one based on macro/ industry environment rather than solely
on regional sales manager inputs. 60-day assignment evolved into an 11-month project.
– Buhler, Inc., Plymouth, MN
– Interim Vice President of Engineering, a newly created position, at a $100MM Sales and Service office of a
$1.2B capital equipment manufacturer serving the grain milling, chocolate, and food processing markets.
– Merged two diverse engineering groups and purchasing into one organization (55 people total), in order to
normalize processes and methods.
– Midwest Veneer & Pressing, Wyoming, MN
– COO chartered with establishing organization, structure, and project management methodology to 70
person, $6MM, custom wood products company faced with balance sheet and working capital issues.
– Focused on improving business processes, Accounts Receivable, on-time delivery, and customer interface.
– Implemented cost reduction efforts, new payroll system, and standardized methods for order processing
TSI, Inc., Shoreview, MN
TSI is a $110+ MM manufacturing company with 700 employees worldwide and is a subsidiary of Churchill Industries.
Primary markets consist of analytical instrumentation for aerosol and fluid mechanics research and environmental
President & COO – 2001 to 2003 (reported to Chairman and Owner)
– Managed two separate international industrial manufacturing companies with common ownership and
worldwide headcount exceeding 700. Full P&L responsibility for combined revenues exceeding $110 MM.
– Expanded sales 5% during recession through consolidation of sales organization, migration to a direct
sales model for capital equipment, and increased international presence.
– Implemented changes of business processes including an ISO-9001 Quality System, resulting in 10% EBIT
improvement in less than two years.
– Achieved Gross Margin improvement from 58% to over 60% through strengthened and integrated supply
chain, and streamlined operations, all during a lower to flat revenue period.
– Reduced product development cycle time by 25% by introducing a phased-gate development process,
improved product definition, and new project / program management techniques, which simultaneously
improved budgetary performance.
DICKEY-john Inc., Auburn, IL
DICKEY-john, a subsidiary of TSI, Inc., is a $35MM pre-eminent supplier of precision agriculture components, sensors and
systems and analytical products to agricultural equipment manufacturers and grain processors. Over 300 employees
President – 1999 to 2003 (reported to Chairman and Owner; last two years concurrent with TSI)
– Restructured and right-sized company after an industry-wide recession eroded revenues by 50%.
– Improved results ($3MM swing from loss to profit) achieved from modified business processes, efficiency
improvements, and re-commitment to core technologies and proprietary product lines.
– Drove business development and sales efforts with smaller agricultural OEMs, international channel
partners, and public works customers to diversify from concentration on one OEM customer.
Director / Vice President Operations / Engineering – 1995 to 1999 (reported to CEO)
– Responsible for manufacturing and quality organization of over 200 performing primary fab (plastic
injection molding, metal forming, PC Board assembly, and final assembly and test to QS9000 standards.
– Responsible for engineering staff of over 50 electrical, mechanical, software, and firmware designers, later
all operations and quality, for this vertically-integrated industrial electronics manufacturer.
– Implemented Lean methods and principles in operations including cellular manufacturing.
– Accountable for all internal and external customer product development programs, including projects for
John Deere, AGCO, and Case New Holland.
– Managed development of next generation analytical instrument, GAC2100, with the achieved goal of
becoming the national standard for grain trade. Design was performed within cost and schedule.
Prior Relevant Experience:
GE / Lockheed Martin, Binghamton/Syracuse, NY
GE Aerospace was sold to Martin Marietta in 1993 and then merged with Lockheed in 1995.
Staff Engineer, Mechanical and Power Engineering Manager for Microelectronics and Power Systems
Honeywell, Inc., Clearwater, FL
Honeywell is a Fortune 500 company specializing in controls systems and aerospace / defense technologies.
Associate, Design, and Senior Design Engineer for Thin Film and Thick Film Microelectronics
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX ROCHESTER INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
M.B.A. – TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT B.S. – ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
GENERAL ELECTRIC TRAINING PROFESSIONAL ENGINEER
AEROSPACE MANAGER’S TRAINING NEW YORK (INACTIVE)
PROJECT MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL (PMP(r)) LEAN SIX SIGMA GREEN BELT
PROJECT MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE LEAN SIGMA CORPORATION