GARRY M. BUTLER
2522 State St
Durham, NC 27704
Seeking a challenging position as a Controls Engineer in an environment focused on quality and safety,
where my skills and proven experience will add maximum value.
Georgia Institute of Technology
B.S. Electrical Engineering
Black & Veatch
July 2011 – Present
Summary: Provide a high level of design and field experience to the Black and Veatch team in order to
ensure a quality product for our customers. Worked on a long-term assignment with no advance notice in
order to support the customer and provide the best product and outcome possible.
Instrument and Controls Engineer
July 2011 – Present
• Responsible for DCS and instrumentation design
• Developed design for five new, gas-fired boilers at a large industrial and chemical complex as
part of a diverse and experienced engineering team.
• Ensure that the latest and most efficient technology is implemented to meet or exceed all federal
and state regulations while staying on schedule and under budget.
January 2012 – March 2013
Lead Onsite Project DCS Engineer
Kentucky Utilities (Ghent Plant) FGD/Controls Upgrade
• Oversight of DCS design, implementation, checkout and startup of upgraded FGD equipment on
1980’s and 2002-2004 era FGD’s on multiple generating units.
• Developed and implemented operator training and operation procedures for new equipment
while meeting management expectations of no power generation downtime at a large power
generating facility (~2200 MW).
May 2007 – July 2011
Summary: Provided expert technical support for Solaris UNIX and Windows XP/Windows 7 systems and
configured security settings. Worded onsite during long-term assignments at Progress Energy (Mayo
Plant), Progress Energy (Crystal River plant), Duke Energy (Cliffside plant) and Xcel Energy (Comanche
plant) supporting startup activities and bus communications technology installations.
Field Engineer, Emerson Process Management Power and Water Solutions
May 2007 – July 2011
• Provided phone support for both customers and fellow Field Engineers.
• Configured, maintained and troubleshot Fieldbus, DeviceNet, Profibus, and ELC protocols.
• Created, modified and designed logic as necessary for plant operations.
• Ensured customer satisfaction in all aspects of the Ovation DCS product.
Overall Project Lead DCS Comissioning Engineer
Progress Energy (Crystal River Plant) FGD/SCR/Controls Upgrade
Crystal River, FL
April 2009 – May 2010
• Performed DCS startup and checkout specifically with respect to Fieldbus and DeviceNet
implementations. Designed and implemented control changes in logic.
• Developed and implemented operator training policies and operation procedures for new
Lead Emerson DCS Commissioning Engineer
Progress Energy (Mayo Plant) FGD/Controls Upgrade
November 2008 – April 2009
• Responsible for performing DCS startup and checkout in addition to providing high-level
customer support for new Fieldbus and DeviceNet installations.
• Additionally responsible for implementing control changes in logic, software installation and
Emerson Project and Field Service Engineer
Charlotte, NC/Cliffside, NC
Duke Energy (Cliffside Plant)
September 2007 – January 2008
• Designed, installed and commissioned a new control system implementation for coal handling.
Georgia Institute of Technology, Office of Information Technology
January 2006 – May 2007
• Provided technical support for Mac OS X and Windows XP and configured security settings.
• Taught classes in graphic design, video editing, and web design software.
• Monitored Help Desk requests and documents and recommended solutions.
• Assisted students and staff in developing multimedia projects, and in the use of editing
• Provided consulting to fellow students by organizing workshops in computer applications
required by professors to complete class projects.
• Emerson regional and company-wide expert on the following technologies: Fieldbus, DeviceNet,
Profibus, and the Ovation Security Center.
• Extensive knowledge of Modbus, Ethernet/IP, Fieldbus, Profibus, and DeviceNet
• Significant experience with Bently Nevada vibration monitoring systems.
• Create scripts to increase productivity in the workplace
• Networking expertise
• Excellent people skills
• Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Experience working with Emerson Ovation, Emerson DeltaV, ABB INFI 90, and GE Mark
V/Ve/VI/VIe controls systems.
• Experience working with ABB ControlLogix PLC’s, Rockwell Automation PowerFlex 700 series
VFD’s, GE Multilin, and Schweitzer SEL switchgear monitoring equipment.
• Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of North Carolina
• OSHA 10-hour Safety Certified
• Emerson Ovation Certified
• Emerson AMS Certified
REFERENCES READILY AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST
To contact this candidate email firstname.lastname@example.org