Proven engineering leader with a record of bringing complex technology products from concept through deployment. Broad technology background and demonstrated ability to be effective leading all levels of both large and small organizations. Specific skills and attributes include:
• Project management, full lifecycle • Team building and development
• Cross-functional teaming • Entrepreneurial and innovative
• Wireless, video, telecom, industrial • Embedded system design
• International customers and teams
• Microcontrollers, DSP, analog, digital
• Attitude and Integrity
• Hands-on software, firmware, hardware
Rhinelander, WI 54501
Principal Cromwell Consulting Rhinelander, WI
September 2015 to Present
• Designed supercapacitor-based product to offset diesel engine voltage drop when starting. Included concept, prototype, PC-board design and transition to production.
• Designed tester and set up 3rd party manufacturing for the product.
Controls Group Leader Superior Diesel, Inc Rhinelander, WI
December 2012 to September 2015
• Defined and implemented plan to provide CAN/J1939-based display and controls for an array of diesel engine packages.
• Identified market opportunity in Telematics for industrial OEM diesel packages. Recruited customer interest and installed successful field trials with two major customers.
• Designed, implemented, tested and supported electronic and electrical solutions for a wide array of OEM and end-customer requirements including instrumentation wiring harnesses, real-time control softwar (C language) and Printed Circuit Board (PCB)-based products.
• Used Solidworks to design and modify sheet metal parts and wiring harnesses
Co-founder, CTO, VP Engineering AgileMesh Richardson, TX
March 2004 to November 2012
• Conceived, designed and built two generations of rapidly deployable mesh and cellular wireless video surveillance (MJPEG and H.264) and intelligence gathering systems products suitable for use by non-technical users. $8M in sales, to date. C and Linux on TI DaVinci (DSP, ARM9) and Pic microcontrollers.
• Integrated 3rd party products (cameras, video servers, wireless networking) with proprietary packaging and control software for the initial generation of the product.
• Installed systems in fixed municipal venues and numerous local and Federal law enforcement and military organizations. Used by SWAT teams for barricade situations, major sporting event security, and VIP protection.
• Created, filed, and was granted multiple patents covering wireless mesh-based video surveillance and video IP routing.
• Designed, built and coded the microcontroller firmware for several power management ancillary products that monitor LiFePo battery power, protect the batteries from complete discharge and control the charging of batteries. C on Microchip Pic processors.
• Recruited and led highly qualified engineering team of 4 hardware and software engineers that built and fielded finished products within 12 months.
Vice President of Engineering Ambrado Richardson, TX
July 2008 to September 2009
• Led team of 30 hardware, firmware and software engineers (10 of these in India) in development and support of HD video encoding and decoding platforms.
• Developed and delivered broadcast quality High Definition video codec systems – MPEG2, DV, DVCPro, and DV25.
• Transitioned products to international manufacture, delivery and deployment of video systems.
Founder and President LowTech Systems Plano, TX
October 2002 to March 2004
Designed and developed battery and capacitor powered portable LED lighting systems
Vice President of Engineering and CTO Xalted Networks, Inc Plano, TX
January 2000 to October 2002
over 100 engineers and contractors)
• Developed business plan, sought and obtained funding, designed and documented the system architecture, hired and organized more than 80% of the company employees and contractors (140 at peak).
• Designed and built a carrier-class, voice, data and digital video access platform which includes:
• OC-48 SONET, DS1, DS3, ADSL, POTS interfaces
• Distributed, scalable, environmentally hardened and survivable architecture
• TDM, ATM, IP switching and routing mechanism
• Element Management System
• Used DSP, FPGA and leading edge microprocessors and network processors
• Eleven major PC-board designs and 500,000 lines of C++ and Java code
• Concept to pre-production system with full basic software support in 15 months (from funding) on a fraction of the funding normally required for similar systems.
• Seven patent applications filed.
• Defined and installed development processes (scaled for a startup organization) which resulted in full configuration control and documentation of the designs.
Vice President, Engineering Celerity Systems Knoxville, TN
1997 to 1999
• Deployed interactive digital video systems in Korea, Taiwan, Israel and China. Designs used ATM, SONET OC-3, ADSL over T1 and E1, VDSL, and Hybrid-Fiber/Coax technologies.
• Directed design and development of an interactive digital video and high speed Internet set-top box.Technologies included ATM, Ethernet, IrDA, RF power-line carrier (CEBus and X-10), MPEG.
• Installed configuration management, development processes, formal testing, and Internet/Intranet tools in the engineering organization.
Vice President, Engineering DSC Communications Corporation Plano, TX
1984 to 1997
up to 170 engineers)
• Led up to 170 engineers developing software, firmware, and hardware for nine major telecom product lines.
• Defined and implemented processes that achieved ISO-9000 certification and Bellcore CSQP (Customer/Supplier Quality Process) recognition (the highest rating) for DSC Transmission Products.
• Developed the North American and Japanese versions of the DEX CS 3/1/0 cross-connect product which became the market leader and resulted in more than $1B in revenue and 75% market share.
M.S. Electrical Engineering Southern Methodist University
B.S. Physics The University of Tennessee
Software Development (10+ years), Hardware Development (10+ years), Systems Engineering (10+ years), Firmware Development (10+ years), Product Development, Product Development (10+ years), Management (10+ years)
6,198,720 Distributed Digital Cross-Connect System and Method
7,110,353 Distributed Digital Cross-Connect System and Method
7,835,331 Video Node for Wireless Mesh Network
8,711,197 Surveillance Apparatus and Method for Wireless Mesh Network
8,364,823 Self-Configuring IP Video Router
To contact this candidate email firstname.lastname@example.org