Robert K. Samuelson
2761 Upland Ct.
Plymouth, MN 55447
(763) 557-9179 home
(612) 309-0752 mobile
• Thirty-plus years of experience developing and testing electronic and medical device systems,
performing hardware-software and software-software integration, while working in a regulated
• System Analysis: Understand the requirements, hazards and hazard mitigations of a system and
allocate these to the components of a system.
• System Integration and Test: Understand the functional components of a system and perform
system level integration, verification and validation tasks.
• Project Execution: Implement the phases of product definition, product development, product
evaluation, product release and product support.
• Regulated Environment: Prepare test plans, protocols and reports for submission to regulatory
agencies such as FDA.
• Languages: C/C++, Pascal, Fortran
• Operating Systems: Windows, embedded real-time operating systems
• Hardware: PC, single board computers, data acquisition, hardware-software integration and
troubleshooting abilities, knowledge of digital and analog electronics
• Tools: Visual Studio 2015 C/C++, cross compilers for embedded processors, emulators and
simulators for embedded processors, various custom verification tools and platforms, defect
tracking tools (Jira), configuration management tools (AccuRev)
2005 to present Principal Engineer, Boston Scientific (Guidant), St. Paul
• Developing and executing manual and automated system level validation and
verification tests of implantable medical devices and associated external
equipment. Experience with implantable tachycardia and bradycardia devices.
Experience with inductive and RF telemetry systems.
• Leading system evaluation teams responsible for the verification and validation
of new implantable medical device systems and software maintenance releases
for fielded products. Preparing protocols and reports for submission to FDA.
2003 to 2005 Software Engineer, Centripetal Design, Inc., Plymouth, MN
• Contract with Guidant Inc. Developed model-based verification testing suites
using DoME and SceDL tools.
1999 to 2003 Software Engineer, Interactive Graphics Systems Inc., Shoreview, MN
• Contract with Medtronic Inc. Developed manual and automated verification tests
for tachycardia programmer applications. Verification efforts focused on stored
data display and multi-language user interface.
Resume of Robert K. Samuelson, page 1 of 2
1996 to 1999 Principal Software Design Engineer, Angeion Corporation, Minneapolis
• Responsible for the design and implementation of portions of the firmware for an
implantable dual chamber defibrillator. Worked with the project team as well as
the verification, marketing, clinical and research departments to resolve system
requirements and design issues. Preliminary requirements and design
documentation completed, some prototype software written (68HC11 assembly).
• Modified and supported a DOS based tool used to communicate with an
implantable defibrillator (C language, DOS environment). Worked with the
verification department to complete testing of the defibrillator.
• Prototyped the user interface for a Windows 95 based tool used to communicate
with a dual chamber defibrillator (Visual C++, Win32 API).
1989 to 1996 Senior Development Engineer, Cardiac Pacemakers Inc., St. Paul
• Designed, implemented and integrated the data storage features of the Ventak™
AV dual chamber implantable defibrillator (C language, Z80 processor).
• Developed test cases for the verification of the Ventak Mini implantable
defibrillator. Worked with firmware developers to clarify software requirements.
• Participated in the development of a real-time test system for use in implantable
defibrillator verification (C language, DOS environment).
• Designed, implemented, integrated and verified several features of the Ventak P2
and PRxII implantable defibrillators (C language, 68HC11 processor).
1985 to 1989 Senior Development Engineer, Honeywell Inc., Minneapolis
• Designed, implemented and tested the switching control software for a depot
level electronic test station (Pascal language).
1984 to 1985 Member of Technical Staff, Hughes Aircraft Company, Long Beach, CA
• Prepared test requirements documents for an airborne radar system. Operated an
automatic radar test system.
1981 to 1984 Engineering Assistant, University of Minnesota
• Designed, constructed and calibrated electronic packages for ionosphere
1980 to 1984 Bachelor of Physics with distinction
• University of Minnesota Institute of Technology, 1984
Resume of Robert K. Samuelson, page 2 of 2
To contact this candidate email firstname.lastname@example.org