STEVEN G. ROTT /
Steven G. Rott
St. Cloud, MN 56301 | firstname.lastname@example.org | 320-310-8370 | linkedin.com/in/steverott
SENIOR MANUFACTURING ENGINEER
Driving Cost Reduction and Quality by Improving Materials, Processes, and Human Factors
Senior Manufacturing Engineer with outstanding skills in process improvement and cost control. Produced savings of $3.81 million since 2001. Achievements include:
• Solid background in industrial engineering, including process improvement, method and time measurement, operations, lean manufacturing, and demand flow.
• Special expertise in continuous improvement, with more than 10 years building and managing cross-functional Kaizen teams to streamline manufacturing.
• Saved $3.8 million over 36 months as Industrial Engineer.
• Saved $6 million over 48 months by identifying, recommending, implementing and documenting cost savings in manufacturing setting.
• Contributes to increased revenue growth by assisting sales reps with cost estimating and by developing staff to full potential. Familiar with OEM requirements.
• Cited by managers as driven and organized, with excellent knowledge of processes and product.
Manufacturing | Foundries | Casting | Molding | Aluminum | Iron | Plastics
Process Improvement | Cost Saving | Quality | Kaizen | Lean | Documentation
Design for Manufacturability | New Product Development | Legacy Continuation
Time Studies | Layouts | Routing | Patents
Johnstech International (Minneapolis, MN) 2008—Present
SR. MANUFACTURING ENGINEER
Supported company-wide process improvement for legacy products and new product development at designer and manufacturer of semi-conductor test components.
• Created new routing and operations system to facilitate global changes to standards in new ERP system. Reduced routing variations while increasing accuracy, achieving better scheduling and tracking of earned hours in constraint areas.
• Sought new suppliers using alternative manufacturing methods to produce core components. Reduced piece cost, tooling cost, and minimum order quantities of purchased components.
• Collaborated on new product development, advising on design for manufacturability, sourcing components, and developing new processes. Built prototypes for functional testing and process development.
• Drove efforts as member of new engineering services department to explore and exploit new materials, methods, processes, packaging, and suppliers to improve outcomes and reduce costs. Focused on supplier development and quality, qualifying new suppliers and processes on existing components.
• Purchased new laser engraving system to facilitate one-piece flow of parts within assembly area. Shorter set-up and better file management allowed cross-training of all assembly operators, resulting in consistent and reproducible part marking.
• Named on patent related to new product development.
LINDAR Corporation (Baxter, MN) 2006—2007
Analyzed and optimized plant processes seeking waste reduction, labor reduction and improved throughput at plastics thermoforming company.
• Maintained shop floor process documentation and established production standards impacting 80 employees.
• Drove closed loop Corrective Action system in response to customer complaints.
• Created Supplier Corrective Action system to target/reduce lost time due to non-standard materials supplied by vendors.
Progress Casting Group (Plymouth, MN) 2004—2006
PROCESS ENGINEER/PROJECT MANAGER
Managed capital equipment projects from initial proposal, through equipment installation, to final process development at aluminum foundry.
• Coordinated equipment moves within facility and externally using internal resources and outside contractors.
• Drove projects to on-time and within budget completion using MS Project and MS Excel.
• Managed new casting programs through tooling and fixture build, First Article Inspection, and process development.
• Developed plans for upcoming plant reorganization/layout and kept master plant layout print up to date.
• Provided process support to multiple departments, including scrap reduction, material flow/line balancing, process/cost improvement, gauges and fixtures, and tooling changes.
• Maintained process sheets. Designed basic material handling equipment.
Grede Foundries (St. Cloud, MN) 1999—2003
Analyzed plant work flow to eliminate unbalanced lines and unproductive man-hours ductile iron foundry.
• Maintained cost and process routing system for more than 150 ongoing manufacturing jobs.
• Regularly sought out by OEM clients for input on product development.
• Provided cost analysis and developed shop floor method sheets in compliance with QS-9000 procedures.
• Reduced costs $1.67 million in FY ’03, $890,000 in FY ‘02 and $1.25 million in FY ’01 through effective use of Kaizen to streamline operations and by applying design for manufacturability principles.
• Developed initial casting design and plate layout for quotation purposes. Created DFM requirements and suggestions to provide quality castings via cost effective manufacturing processes to customers.
Waupaca Foundry, Inc. (Marinette, WI) 1988—1999
Analyzed and streamlined plant workflow, trained and mentored three Industrial Engineers at ductile iron foundry.
• Produced $6 million in cost savings. Contributed to increased efficiency by providing “what-if” cost analyses.
• Developed costs for quotes using database of active jobs as basis. Contributed to increased revenue by working with sales engineers to provide pricing information to customers.
• Determined best fit for new work based on tooling costs, machine hour rates and plant capacity; maintained process routing system for 2000+ jobs. Tracked productivity to identify problem areas affecting machine utilization.
• Worked with Quick Changeover Team to reduce tooling changeover time and gain additional plant capacity. Analyzed and eliminated unnecessary functions to balance team workload.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE, MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
University of Minnesota—Institute of Technology, Minneapolis, MN
Emphasis on Industrial Engineering and Operations Research
Kaizen Leader Training
Kaizen Institute of America
Word, Access, Excel, Project, Showcase Query/Report Writer and Internet research. Familiar with SQL, Oracle, AutoCad and CadKey.